NIS America has confirmed the latest Ys entry for a western release date. Ys X: Nordics will arrive sometime in Fall 2024 for the PlayStation 4, PS5, PC, and Nintendo Switch.

While it's not surprising to seea Ys game head west, it is reassuring to see it get dated. There's been a gap, for most of the recent Ys titles, between the Japanese retail launch and their ports to North America. At least with this game, the wait wasn't terribly long; Ys X: Nordics launched in Japan in September 2023 for PlayStation and Switch.

The portof Ys X will have Japanese language options, for both text and audio, on the PC. The computer launch is also hitting a number of storefronts: Steam, Epic, and GOG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wTdZeJDKHA

Crossing action

Once again following Ys protagonist Adol Christin, this time the red-haired hero gets tied up with the pirate Karja Balta. They're bound together, and on their quest to solve their interpersonal problem, they wind up contending with a war in the midst of the Obelia Gulf.

Much like other entries, Ys X: Nordics is an action RPG, and the battle system has been fleshed out with features like the Cross Action System, allowing Adol and Karja to team up for super-sick attacks. There are some interesting movement options outside of battle too, letting the protagonists tap into the power of Mana to get around. But more importantly, boats:

Image via NIS / Falcom

This entry certainly seems to latch onto Nordic inspiration, so that's some good news for any Vinland Saga fans out there. Plus, the boat will stay afloat in this one, as you actually traverse the sea, fish, and battle other ships. Skull and Bones has some competition, I guess.

The Ys series has long been on my backlog of shame, as an RPG enjoyer, and I've several times over how good entries like Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana are. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's sitting on my Steam Deck right now. But whether I get to it now or later, Nordics looks like a pretty intriguing entry for newcomers and old fans alike.

We'll see how Nordics shapes up when it heads west in Fall 2024.

The post Ys X: Nordics will set sail in the west this Fall appeared first on Destructoid.

More...