Amnesia: The Dark Descent is easily one of my favorite horror games of all time. While a little dated now, I still recall the first time I encountered the Grunt, the slack-jawed monstrosity with the bloodcurdling wail. Such terror. So imagine my surprise when I saw that developer Frictional Games is launching a plush of the creature.

"A face not even a mother can love," goes the campaign slogan for the limited edition cuddly toy. A recent post on Steam invites you to recall your own experience of dread when you "heard this guy come knocking in Castle Brennenburg."

Image via Frictional Games/Steam.

The plush is not yet available, but the Makeship page (a website that specializes in helping people create custom memorabilia) shows the Amnesia merch smashed its crowdfunding goal. The Grunt plush is expected to begin production on March 2, with shipments beginning May 26, but we're told they'll be available for a limited time only.

I wonder if they're absorbent

Last year saw the release of The Bunker, the newest entry in the terrifying Amnesia series. Frictional really brought things back to basics with this one. While the second game was more of a horror walking simulator (developed by The Chinese Room) and Rebirth didn't do a lot with the formula, the latest one feels like a breath of fresh air.

Of course, The Dark Descent will always be the OG pants-filler for me. While it's not aged terribly well (it was released in 2010, after all), it represented the beginning of a new era for survival horror.

I dare say that the likes of Outlast, Alien Isolation, and even Resident Evil 7 (to some extent) owe thanks to the first Amnesia game. You know what, I'm convinced. Maybe I will buy a Grunt plush. I'm starting to come round to its apparent cuteness.

The post Nothing says ‘cute’ like a plush of one of Amnesia’s most terrifying monsters appeared first on Destructoid.

More...