D4 Enterprise has made good on its promise, and the original PC-88 version of Ys is being released on Switch as part of their EggConsole line. It releases on February 15, 2024. Don?t get too excited just yet.

We had already heard the D4 planned on releasing Ys on console, but it was uncertain how they would navigate the licensing issues around the series in North America. Furthermore, PC-88 Ys was never translated and released in North America on account of the PC-88 being a largely Japan-only home computer. Would they really put in the effort to translate the game?

No.

Screenshot by Destructoid

EggConsole Ys is still entirely in Japanese. While the emulation shell that fits it is in English, the game itself, including all the dialogue, is still in its native language. That?s, um, quite the barrier.

I appreciate that D4 Enterprise is releasing these games in Western markets, but I?m not sure that an RPG entirely in Japanese is going to be useful to many people over here. It interests me, but I already know some of the language and have a passion for retro games. I?m currently slowly working through Legend of Xanadu on PC-Engine CD with my limited vocabulary. However, if there?s one thing I?ve learned, it?s that while I can find plenty of people online with interests like mine, we?re in a pretty small minority.

I?m just saying that I, personally, am grateful to have something like this available, but I feel like the market is much more limited than it would be if they went to the effort of translating. Of course, judging profitability is entirely up to D4.

For those of us in this particular niche, EggConsole Ys PC-8801mkIISR will be available on Switch on February 15, 2024.

The post The original PC-88 version of Ys is now on Switch, but there’s a catch appeared first on Destructoid.

More...