Netflix's gaming push is looping in one of its larger animated properties. The Dragon Prince: Xadia is a new action-RPG in development, arriving next year on mobile through Netflix.

The project looks to be handled by Wonderstorm, per the official site, and definitely takes after the action-RPG genre. In the reveal trailer, we can see quite a few gameplay moments that feel reminiscent of Diablo, Hades, and the like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsqi4sPBLwY

Characters look to run around, bash enemies' heads in, and unleash magic upon the battlefield. Netflix's teaser describes the game as a "hack & slash looter ARPG," and also notes you can team up with friends. Feels very Diablo-y to me.

For the roster, I see a few expected faces, including leads like Callum and Rayla. I'm admittedly a bit behind on the show, but it's nice to see the breadth of choices here. The shield-toting Amaya is a very welcome inclusion, too.

Netflix and games

The online streaming giant Netflix has been steadily making headway in the realm of games. It has a mobile service which has featured access to some notable titles, like 2018 gem Spiritfarer.

The company's also making its own big push into games, through internal measures and external acquisitions of studios like Spry Fox and Oxenfree maker Night School Studio. Joseph Staten, of Halo/343 fame, was even brought on as Netflix Games' creative director.

It does seem like Netflix continues to be interested in games, both on their own and as properties for streaming shows. Whether these efforts pan out will be interesting to see, but I'm hopeful that it at least results in some games that aren't stuffed to the gills with microtransactions. A mobile Dragon Prince ARPG could be a welcome surprise if it avoids that particular pitfall.

The post Netflix’s The Dragon Prince is getting a Diablo-esque mobile game appeared first on Destructoid.

More...