It?s probably not all that controversial to say that Baldur?s Gate 3 is one of 2023?s best games. Between a varied cast of lovable characters and an amazing story with great depth, it is a wonderful RPG that's one of the best in years. But until this week, it was only on PC. That makes its extreme popularity impressive on its own, but many console players were no doubt feeling left out. With the PS5 version of Baldur's Gate 3 out, players stuck on that platform now have a means to venture across the Sword Coast.
I?ve been a big fan of Baldur?s Gate 3, putting in about 170 hours in the PC version, including going mad in its Tactician difficulty. Before that, I finished a couple of campaigns and put a decent amount of time into the Early Access version.
As if it hasn?t sucked enough of my life away on PC, I?ve had even more taken away with the PS5 port. With only about 20 hours in so far, split between local co-op and single-player campaigns, it?s fascinating experiencing the game from a whole new perspective. And to be honest, I love it.
My experience with this port has only been in Baldur's Gate 3?s first act, but it has been wonderful so far. There are some quirks that carry over from the PC version. I also have a couple of grievances that come more from personal experiences rather than anything specific to the game.
[caption id="attachment_402149" align="alignnone" width="640"] Image via Destructoid[/caption]
Baldur?s Gate 3 is an awesome couch co-op experience

The biggest difference in my time between the versions is how I experienced them. I have only played single-player on the PC version, lamenting those who?ve organized parties to create digital D&D chaos. This changed on the PS5, since I've been playing local co-op with friends.
Experiencing Baldur?s Gate 3 with a friend sitting next to you is awesome. Menus and text can be a pain to read, but Larian compensates for the smaller real estate per person with some neat alterations. An extra panel or some information is cut off, but it works within its limitations.
What I?m more mixed on is the player limit for split-screen. A two-player limit makes sense because the PS5?s hardware is already stretched by rendering separate images, but four-player local co-op is theoretically awesome. My friends and I unfortunately learned this the hard way, because we attempted to connect more than two players and couldn?t do it. We only realized our mistake after looking it up.
This was definitely on me, but having that awkward moment did suck. The chaotic part of me laments not having a four-player option, but the logistic part understands that good performance and being able to read in-game text are even more important.
Baldur?s Gate 3 is still awesome to play sitting next to someone else. Both characters can role-play as their own person, going on a unique story arc and bonding with separate party members. The main campaign I?ve been playing even had my friend romance Lae?zel while my character is still debating who she wants. It helps build an experience that we're both impacting this world and sitting together adds something special.
[caption id="attachment_402150" align="alignnone" width="640"] Image via Destructoid[/caption]
Baldur?s Gate 3 is surprisingly great on a controller

I went into the Baldur?s Gate 3 PS5 port having some experience playing it with a controller. It?s a little weird, but overall felt great on PC. That time dashed any concern that a console port would feel clunky. There was an adjustment, but it felt natural the more I played.
Being limited to a controller on PS5 has not changed my thoughts. This version plays identically to its PC counterpart and I couldn?t be happier. The main difference in feel is going from my monitor to my TV.
This accounts for that adjustment time acclimating to the controller. Both friends I played the game with needed time to figure out how everything works, and we all slip up sometimes. Interacting with the environment with Cross and Square for actions makes sense, but others are strange. The action placements are mostly fine, but jumping with Up on the D-pad is especially awkward when needing to do it multiple times. Remapping buttons is also not available on a controller right now, which is a shame.
Certain aspects like walking around do feel comfortable on a controller. Direct control over a character gives more freedom of movement and the command wheels lead to fewer mis-clicks from me. The overall feel is great, even if I still prefer keyboard and mouse due to remappable keybinds making it possible to play using only the mouse.
The point here is that PS5 players are getting the same great experience those on PC have been getting. Larian Studios took the time to have controllers be an equitable choice to keyboard and mouse in Baldur's Gate 3. Various menus and UI elements cater to controllers with some screens showing more overall information.
[caption id="attachment_402151" align="alignnone" width="640"] Image via Destructoid[/caption]
Jaunting across Faerun with few hitches

My concern going into this port was how Baldur's Gate 3 performs on PS5. It's a demanding game, and performance is inconsistent on PC. BG3 runs okay on my PC, but demanding scenes can cause it to lurch momentarily. Meanwhile, the PS5 version promises a Performance mode at 60fps and a Quality mode offering native 1440p at 30fps. These are standard offerings this generation, and I'm happy to report it runs well.
Frame drops occur sometimes but are hardly noticeable. That is especially important because split-screen forces players into the Quality mode, so its stability is arguably even more important. This could change later in the game, but the framerate has been mostly consistent.
I divided my time between playing Performance mode solo and Quality mode in co-op, and Baldur's Gate 3 doesn't buckle even with two players. It was impressive seeing the experience run smoothly, even if we've largely been in the relatively stable forest area.
BG3 does look somewhat better on PC, but this was only noticeable when swapping between the different versions. Some texture quality and lighting seem to have taken a hit on PS5, but not to a degree anyone would reasonably care about. Baldur's Gate 3 is a great-looking game regardless of platform.
Something to note is that this version has some weird bugs that will probably get quashed in one of the extensive patches. In my time, I've seen things like my co-op partner temporarily have no control over their character and audio cut out when we both were watching the same scene. I also had audio cut out when playing the game using headphones, but this could have been a controller issue. It also looks like Larian has started addressing these PS5-specific audio issues with the most recent hotfix.
[caption id="attachment_402152" align="alignnone" width="640"] Image via Destructoid[/caption]
Some things to consider when buying Baldur's Gate 3 on PS5

Lastly, it's important to note how cross-saving works. I swapped between my copies on PC and PS5 to try cross-saving, and I can say it works okay.
Instead of backing up all save data, the game only backs up the most recent saves on the latest campaign. It's a system that works fine, but encourages playing on a single campaign save when jumping across versions. I probably won't use it regularly, but the feature is neat for owners of both versions.
The main difference between the two versions of Baldur's Gate 3 is what someone wants from it. The PS5 version is a good fit for anyone looking to host a local co-op campaign and potentially more stable performance. Both versions offer local co-op, but a PS5 is likely better set up for it. The PC version, meanwhile, has somewhat comfier controls and potentially better graphics. You can't go wrong with either version of this amazing game, especially with both having update parity.
Baldur's Gate 3 on PS5 is an excellent version of a phenomenal game. Larian Studios knocked it out of the park with this conversion, to the point it's my preferred way to play the game in multiplayer. Performance has also been rock solid and the game looks wonderful, so it's an easy recommendation already.
My opinion can potentially change if the quality dips later in the story, but Baldur's Gate 3 on PS5 has so far held up to the PC version's standards. I think it will continue to, and I will continue galivanting through Faerun while lying cozy on my couch.
[These impressions are based on a retail build of the game provided by the publisher.]
The post Baldur?s Gate 3 on PS5 has amazing couch co-op appeared first on Destructoid.

More...