Pokemon Trading Card Game[/I] since 1998. While I'm generally not down with blind box collectible packs, starter sets like the newly announced Battle Academy box do a decent job of pulling me back in to relearn games and acquire that sweet, sweet new keyword knowledge.
In short, trading card games periodically release pre-built decks of cards so that you know exactly what you're getting. Fantasy Flight Games bases their entire "LCG" model around it to avoid gambling, which is why I gravitate toward their games so often. With other companies, the idea is to suck you in with the pre-set starter boxes: then get you to whale-up and buy tons of packs to get cooler cards. Jokes on you: I stop there!
In this particular "Battle Academy" kit for Pokemon, you'll get three decks (Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo), along with three rulebooks and a game board (no mat? Way to cheap out). The idea is that you start with the former two, then work your way up to Mewtwo. It's not a new concept, but it's a new box, so lapsed Pokemon card game fans could give it a shot with a family member during quarantine.
It's out as of yesterday worldwide, and will run you 20 bucks.
Battle Academy [Pokemon]

Read more...]More...